Turning to God

I've spent so much of my life seeking God's direction. "Lord, give me guidance; show me the way." I've asked repeatedly for His will to be revealed to me or to know and understand His plan.

You see, I've wanted to do what's "right," good, His will, His plan - yet unfortunately, too often in my Christian walk, I've gotten so side-tracked by asking for guidance that I've lost sight of His main and original plan for me.

When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the covenant law in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the Lord... Exodus 34:29
After Moses had spent time with the Lord, receiving His direction, getting the 10 Commandments and God's instructions, his face was radiant. His face reflected the time he'd spent with the Lord - he was mirroring God's glory - and it was evident to the people.

And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. 2 Corinthians 3:18


So can the same be true for me? The more I spend time in His presence, the more I seek Him, the more I am being transformed into His likeness, reflecting His glory, filled with the Spirit, and knowing more of Him.

What happens during this process is I no longer become obsessed with asking for guidance. I don't keep going back to God to ask Him for directions; instead I keep going back to God to get more of God. Instead I find myself in His presence, not asking to know His will, but wanting to know HIM.

For this God is our God for ever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end. Psalm 48:14

Sometimes, like Abraham, I am just asked to "Go" with no indication of where we're going or how we'll get there. In those moments, I have to decide - is knowing and being with Jesus enough? Or is my human need to "know" going to demand the directions and final destination? Oh, I can demand it all I want. But it doesn't mean He'll give me what I want. But when I follow the Guide, I'm not concerned about where I'm going. When I turn to Him, He's all I need. When I seek His face, I also find His heart and that is the place I rest, basking in His presence and seeking to be transformed into His likeness. When I turn my eyes on Him, my surroundings grow dim and all I seek is more of Him.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace

When I seek Him, I find Him. When I look full in His face, everything else fades. When I stay long enough in His presence, His transforming grace begins a new work in my life. When I experience His transformation in my life, I begin to see, experience and reflect His glory. Over and over I must remind myself to turn to God - seek the Guide.

Comments

Popular Posts