The Birds

It's been three years since a bird built a nest under the awning of our front porch. I remember because I was pregnant and I took some interest in watching the nest fill with eggs then end up with baby birds. Three years later we are on nest number three within two months time.

I devoted a lot of time watching the first nest be constructed in my own state of preparing for motherhood. I wouldn't call myself a bird watcher by any stretch but something has happened between then and now.

During the month of April I noticed a nest in the same spot from a few years ago. I watched intently, monitoring the progress of the nest then the two little eggs that appeared and hatched into nestlings. While mama was on the nest or coming back and forth with feedings, daddy bird was always close by. Sometimes he would perch atop the awning. Most of the time he sat in the tree right beside the column. Then something strange happened. We noticed the mama hadn't been back in awhile. Daddy would sit in the tree but it seemed as if the birds weren't being cared for. It soon would make sense.

The most amazing part was witnessing these two fledglings take their first flight. One went straight to a tree in our front yard while the other floated to the ground. He stayed there for quite some time, unsure of what to do. I couldn't pull myself away and what happened next was indescribable. He flew. He took off. And then he flew straight back to the nest.

Before long, mama and daddy birds showed back up and sure enough they coerced him back out of the nest and off they flew. The family of four would make many trips back around the nest, resting on the tree next to the house, landing on the railing just below the nest. I can't deny how fascinating the entire process became. I looked up pictures and determined they were house finches. We'll still see them fly by from time to time but they don't come around as much as they used to.

Just last week I noticed it. Two birds coming back and forth in front of the windows. Sure enough! Another nest. This time one made from beaks full of mud - three days worth of trip after trip, from sun up to sun down. One of the most incredible sights to see has been this nest constructed entirely out of mud intricately made through a labor of love. These barn swallows have been the ultimate duo. Side by side in the entire process. Now a full week later, they love to sit atop the roof just over the garage. They watch us coming and going and almost every single night at dusk we see them together perched inside the nest. I can't handle their love story! It's been such a lesson in partnership.

About three days ago I saw another pair of birds on the opposite column. I've kept a close eye and just as I had hoped there is now another nest! Two nests at the same time. Three total in less than two months. I can't handle it!!

I haven't always loved birds. My Nanny has been gone for 10 years and she loved cardinals and that has transcended to my mom. Our dear friend and pastor's wife battling cancer right now absolutely loves bluebirds. Whenever I see a cardinal I think of my family, whenever I see a bluebird I think of Miss Debby. Now, through this process, I can say this has become such an experience of understanding God's love in the smallest of details.

Watching the toil of these birds, seeing them work tirelessly, trip after trip after trip, building a safe place for their family, has been nothing short of a labor of love. Witnessing the partnership of each duo has been a true act of sacrifice and service. Right now as I type, mama barn swallow has been sitting in the nest all morning. She is either laying her eggs or resting on them. Without fail, daddy barn swallow is close by on the awning above the garage. He has a clear view of his mate and the nest.

Knowing the mama house finch hadn't abandoned the nest but had intentionally left her young to help coerce them out of their safe home was all part of nature's plan. And in a true lesson of understanding God's love, I know this is exactly what He wants for us.

He watches over us, cares for us, nurtures us, feeds us when we are young in our faith, then He expects for us to leave the comforts we know so we can fulfill the purpose we were created for. Had mama continued to come and care for the birds, they would have never known they could leave and fly. They wouldn't be experiencing the tree tops and clouds.

Before you think I'm over-spiritualizing, it was made abundantly clear to me when I read just this week "Goliath Must Fall" by Louie Giglio and the chapter entitled "Leaving the Nest." As if it wasn't already speaking to me, Louie shared of the bird nests that would often be built on their side porch and the looming "danger" of their giant golden doodle below that was threatening the birds from not leaving the nest and experiencing the flight for which they were created for. Okay, Lord. I am listening!!! The graciousness of our God to write such a story for me and then seal it with a Holy kiss just beats all! These are the moments we take Him in and rest in knowing He is watching over every detail, speaking directly to our souls, nourishing our hearts with His tender reminders of how He loves us.

I can't wait to continue watching these two nests and what's to come!





Comments

Popular Posts