Just Cry

What can I say? Sometimes you just need a good cry. I'm not talking the tiny trickle of a tear tenderly rolling down a cheek. I'm talking about what I once heard Oprah call "the ugly cry." (No, I don't endorse or particularly like Oprah but the description works.)

When I say "the ugly cry" I don't just mean the whites of your eyes are bloodshot. I mean your eyelids are nearly swollen shut, your cheeks are blotchy and puffy, your nose is red and inflamed, also pouring forth liquid that only adds to the ugliness, body shaking, chest heaving, trying to catch your breath because you've gotten so caught up in your convulsion of tears that you can barely breathe. But in this state of solitude and despair you find the ability to release the hurt and pain through your streaming tears. They come hard and fast. Uncontrollable and volatile. You've worn your brave face for a long, long time. And now it's time to cry.

This is the release of every emotion you've bottled up. It's the cry that comes from the depths of your soul, and every cracked and tattered crevice of your broken heart and shattered dreams. They're the tears that come from being pulverized, powdered, stripped of it all and the only thing you have left to give is a waterworks display of your broken-down state.

"In my distress I called to the LORD; I called out to my God. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came to his ears." 2 Samuel 22:7

"Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice." Psalm 55:17


"But I cry to you for help, LORD; in the morning my prayer comes before you." Psalm 88:13

I love this one...
"My intercessor is my friend as my eyes pour out tears to God..." Job 16:20

Just Cry. Let your eyes pour out tears as you pour out your heart to God and cry to Him for help. The second verse in Mandisa's song "Just Cry" says "God can handle your honesty." Oh, I'm so glad to know He sees every tear. But even more than that, He sees every wound, every scar, every shattered piece of my broken heart.

"It doesn't mean you don't trust Him ... or believe ... It doesn't mean you don't know He's redeeming everything." Oh praise Him! In my despair He hears my cry...and REDEEMS ME!

You know me - music floods my soul. So here's the song I referenced. Just do me a favor - grab some kleenexes (you're going to need a handful and I recommend the ones with lotion) and let yourself cry.

Just Cry

Why you gotta act so strong?
Go ahead, and take off your brave face.
Why you telling me nothing's wrong.
It's obvious you're not in a good place.
Who's telling you to keep it all inside
And never let those feelings get past the corner of your eye

You don't need to run
You don't need to speak
Baby, take some time
Let those prayers roll down your cheeck
It may be tomorrow, you'll be past the sorrow
But tonight, it's alright...
Just cry

I know you know your Sunday songs
A dozen verses by memory - yeah, they're good
But life is hard, and days get long - you gotta know
God can handle your honesty
So feel the things you're feeling,
Name your fears and doubts
Don't stuff your shame and sadness, loneliness and anger
Let it out, let it out

Just cry...

It doesn't mean you don't trust Him
It doesn't mean you don't believe
It doesn't mean you don't know He's redeeming everything

You don't need to run
You don't need to speak
Baby, take some time
Let those prayers roll down your cheeck
It may be tomorrow, you'll be past the sorrow
But tonight, it's alright...
Just cry

Comments

  1. I've done the ugly cry many times in my life. I understand what it feels like to hurt. When I found out I had cancer, I did the ugly cry so bad I actually ruined my phone. It quit working because I cried on it like a water faucet. I hope the cry made you feel better--it helped me.
    Paula Cook

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts