Fantastic Friday

You know the scene. The morning scramble of herding children - trying to get them dressed, fed, and out the door. Socks and shoes are never where you need them to be when you're in a hurry. Frustrations abound with a scattered mom brain and scurrying children. It was a frantic Friday indeed.

The scene was comical at best. A barefooted toddler was running laps in the driveway at the mention of my notion to get her hair fixed. She never slowed down but I never lost my determination. I chase her, running while combing and putting in hair bows. I was completely unaware of the spectacle we were to the neighbors until I finally stopped to catch my breath and realized I was panting. I felt certain I deserved a medal for the Olympic feat I'd just accomplished of two perfectly placed pigtails all while running full speed after a toddler. 

My boy was no less frantic, searching for his Batman costume. It was super hero day at school and the costume was nowhere to be found. Never mind the fact that I should have already had this together the night before. We were now in panic mode. He was melting down and I was sweating. I sent him upstairs while I checked the garage. Then I heard him, "Mooooommmm!!! Never fear! Batman is here!" He was running outside holding the costume bag in hand. Unfortunately the bodysuit wasn't inside. But the cape was so in full mom-mode I went into action and made sure my boy felt like the super hero I know him to be. 

Now that he was ready to go I attempted to corral us all in the car only to realize Eli was missing shoes and Violet was still barefoot. I gave him the instruction to find two MATCHING shoes (yes, I did have to clarify) and grabbed her slip on shoes and attempted to put them on. Instead I was greeted with a determination that matched my own as she took the shoes and exclaimed "I do it." Through gritted teeth I mustered a grin and handed them off only to see the fireman rain boots that Eli had put on himself. "What mom? They match." Sorry I didn't clarify further but I now explained he needed to find matching tennis shoes. 

I began buckling Violet in only to realize the dog had been hiding inside the car. Did he really think he was going?! Why wouldn't our giant doodle be in the car on a morning like this?!

With the dog safely inside and the kids buckled in, we were finally off! We may have started out frantic but we were now fully embracing fantastic. Here's the picture to prove it!


Comments

Popular Posts