2017

It's that time again. Time where, if for no one other than myself, I gather the moments and memories of the year in review and compile them here as a way to document and reflect. Today I spent time reading and reviewing these year end blogs all the way back to 2011. To see how the Lord has been at work is an ever-present reminder that no matter what we face, He's never left or forgotten us.

We started 2017 traveling to Tennessee for Poppy's celebration of life service. We returned to the first and only snow of the season.


February is always my favorite month and this year proved to be no different, although the celebration itself was much more low-key than the usual pomp and circumstance. The pizza would say otherwise but I enjoyed a quiet night out with the family eating pizza and chocolate cupcakes downtown. 

Mom and I got to take a trip to the Chick-fil-A corporate offices in March. It's important to note because this is the first full year of having myself, mom, and dad all working together. I have to stop and continue to give thanks for the Chick-fil-A family - both blood related and not - that I'm surrounded by as well as this wonderful opportunity where I get to work and apply my strengths and gifts.


I can't reflect on 2017 without recalling our trips to Florida in both April and July. We are so blessed by Michael's parents living close by and, well, besides my birthday Disney is one of my most favorite things to enjoy.

Easter Sunday was also Michael's birthday and an opportunity to celebrate as a family. I'm so thankful for His gift of eternal life and salvation and I can't deny the love He's lavished on me by orchestrating our family together.  

Eli turned 9 in May and finished up 3rd grade. He enjoyed a part-time summer camp and we enjoyed mom's summer camp of fun and learning with both kids on a part-time schedule which proved to be much more enjoyable for us all. August brought the start of fourth grade. He continues to create and construct. He can turn anything into a robot or creation that will blow most people's minds with just some scotch tape and whatever he can find lying around. (I just spent 3 hours cleaning his room to make room for all the new toys and building sets he got for Christmas only to uncover countless projects that he's created.) His creativity astounds us.


Much of the fall feels like a blur with the capstone memory being the sudden and tragic loss of my mom's sister and my dear Aunt Cindy in late October. To say we are devastated is an understatement and it's overshadowed much of the rest of the year. It was capitalized with yet another loss when my Uncle and mom's brother lost his partner. To grieve three losses in less than a year hasn't been how we ever would have anticipated or planned to spend 2017. Yet even with heavy and grieving hearts, we cling to the hope knowing each of them had accepted Christ as their personal Savior. 


November brought our Violet's second birthday. We decided to forego a birthday party and planned a photo shoot and family getaway to Massanutten. The pictures absolutely lie because she was a complete drama queen for nearly 2 hours but we managed to capture a few shots that celebrate her personality. She's picking her own clothes, dressing herself, growing up way too fast, and doing everything she can to keep up with her brother. She loves music, adores her brother, and has become quite the daddy's girl. She keeps us laughing and our lives overflow with joy because of this miracle. 

Early in November Eli also shared his decision to accept Christ as his Savior. This is the first time I've shared this news publicly because it's such a personal experience but because it is so life changing it has also been a true highlight of the year and one I want to document.

Watching this brother and sister relationship blossom has made the year full of moments that are now memories. They go from playing and laughing to fighting and antagonizing the way any good brother and sister would. Juggling the demands of a school-aged child alongside a toddler can prove to be challenging and yet the most abundant of blessings. Truly my cup runneth over!


The word I claimed for 2017 was Blessed and I stand at the close of this year calling to mind just how blessed my life and family truly are. Despite hardships and grief, I must call to mind how the Lord has blessed. The gift of salvation. The promise of eternal life. Abundant, thankful, reflective, humbled, honored, and blessed. 



Comments

  1. This is a brilliant write up. I was smiling throughout this post. We are just thinking to host a Disney inspired party for our daughter’s 7th birthday. As we have planned to hire inflatable Bounce House for this bash so we would like to book some outdoor San Francisco event venues for this bash.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts