2018


"David said it all: I saw God before me for all time. Nothing can shake me; he's right by my side. 

I'm glad from the inside out, ecstatic; I've pitched my tent in the land of hope."

Acts 2:25-26, The Message

This is it! I can't even contain my excitement. Ecstatic? Yes! 

For the past week I've spent time in prayer and reflection, reading and studying, asking the Lord for a fresh word as I head into the new year. I can't say it always happens. It doesn't always hit like this but when it does, there is absolutely no denying the hand of God at work. This is one of those times. 

I just so happened to see it on a friend's post. Mixed among all the Happy New Year GIFS and wishes, but there it was in black and white. It stopped me in my tracks. It was as if the Lord Himself was speaking the words to my heart. Had I ever even read that verse? I couldn't be sure but it sent me on a spiral of searches to cross reference and find different translations. 

If I'm being honest, as I only know to do, 2017 was interwoven with deep difficult trials. Facing 2018 hasn't been a time of hoping for all things new. It's been something that felt like we just had to get through. It's hard to move forward when the present state of the painful past continues to impact the days ahead. 

But then I landed here. Acts 2:25-26. The Message translation of pitching my tent in the land of hope hit me like an arrow to my heart because it's something I've said on many occasions. "It's okay to feel ____ (fill in the blank), just don't pitch your tent there." It's usually been in the context of encouraging a friend, or myself, not to stay stuck in a particular emotion of anger, hurt, grief, worry, or frustration. 

So here it was in reference to joy and rejoicing - the idea of pitching my tent in a land filled with hope. Other translations take it literally to heart. 

"Therefore my heart rejoiced and my tongue was glad; Moreover my flesh also will rest in hope." NKJV

For my heart to rejoice and my flesh to rest in hope takes a willful act of choice on my part. Despite whatever circumstances, in spite of what may be uncertain, I can rest in hope. In fact, it's a place I can pitch my tent. It is in fact the place I want to dwell. 

But how? How do we do choose to dwell with hope when everything around us feels hopeless? David truly says it all. Take several different translations to soak in this promise:

"I saw God before me for all time."
"I saw the Lord always before me."
"I saw the Lord ever before me."

Always. Ever. All time. He's never not with you. No matter how alone you may feel, no matter what you may face, His very presence is with you at all times. 

"Nothing can shake me."
"He is on my right hand that I may not be moved."
"Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken."

The promise of His presence, the assurance of knowing nothing will shake us. He's right there - right beside us - just in case we stumble, in the event we trip, for those times we just can't stand on our own two feet. He's there to hold us up, pick us up, carry us through. Even when the foundation is crumbling, we won't be shaken or moved. 

We have to continue on a little further. (I urge you to read the passage in its entirety.)

"You will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, you will not let your holy one see decay. You have made known to me the paths of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence." vs. 27-28

It's important to see it through, to understand that you who are chosen, you who have given your heart and life to Christ, you whom He has made holy because of His sacrifice, you will not be destroyed. There may be tough times, there may be destitute days, there may be trials and troubles, but He will not abandon you. We can pitch our tent in the land of hope, resting in His presence, and being filled with His joy when we know the assurance of who He is. 

David says it all, doesn't he? It is indeed a new day, a new month, a new year, and with that is a new word from the Lord to remind us that whatever we may face in 2018, His presence and joy goes with us. He upholds us, steadies us, stays right by our side to not let us fall. He fills us with joy and hope and promises to never abandon us. I pray you'll find the ecstatic joy in this promise, even if it may be difficult for you to see how it will all work out. Even if the assurance of tomorrow seems to be fleeting. Even if your brokenness feels too shattered to be healed. I pray today you'll find the plot in the land of hope where you can pitch your tent. Determine that is the place you'll dwell. Let Him comfort and support you. May He go before you in whatever you face. 

I won't wish you a Happy New Year. Happiness is made up of moments and often fleeting based on circumstance. I will wish you the joy and peace of the Lord, His ever-present hand to uphold you, and a  place of hope where you may dwell. Happy 2018,  my friend. 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts