Hopelessly Hopeful

"I know how confused you sometimes feel - and how much you long to find the way forward. You have tried so many different things; you have been so hopeful at times. Yet your hope-filled paths have led to disappointment." Jesus Today

Lord, I make such messes. Out of anything! I seem to have this natural instinct that requires me to get involved. Why must I be in control?! I confuse myself thinking I am helping when really I'm wreaking havoc on whatever I touch. You've seen it happen - over and over. Make no mistake, everything was done with the very best of intentions. I wish I didn't have to recount the times I've looked back and realized how my own actions, my own interjections, my well-meaning efforts seem to be the very thing that diverted a path, caused a ripple effect, developed the snowball that turned into an avalanche, or flat out led to disappointment. I'm ashamed of myself. 

"I want you to know that I fully understand how hard your journey has been. I also assure you that I can bring good out of every bit of it." 

Lord, do You mean it?! Even for me? Even after the mess I've made? Even after the failure I've faced? Even after the destruction I've caused? Can it be true for even me? Can you make something good out of this? Even this?

"This is the way of wisdom: trusting Me no matter what happens in your life. It is through trust that you follow Me along the right path." 

Oh yes, Lord, I can now see this to be true. You've been guiding my steps, leading me even when I was "hanging out in the hallway" waiting for doors to open. Even when I was trying desperately to bang down doors to make them open. 

"There are many things that seem random or wrong as you go along your journey. Yet I am able to fit them all into a comprehensive plan for good - My Master Plan." 

Sovereign Lord, You are most worthy to be praised! There are still things that seem unclear, things I can't yet make sense of, and yet I also can look back and realize how You're weaving it all together. There are glimpses of Your Master Plan unfolding, promises being fulfilled, and Your Sovereignty working it all together for my good. It's humbling to even know You're at work, despite my own interferences, yet I praise You! 

"From your limited perspective, your journey may be confusing... However, from My limitless, big-picture perspective, I am indeed leading you along straight paths."

Through it all, You are good! No matter what I've faced, You are my God. Faithful even when I am hopelessly faithless. Lead me, Lord. Make straight the very twists and turns I've stumbled upon and caused for myself. Allow me to rest beside still waters when I grow weary. Help me look back and see the single set of footprints and know most assuredly You have carried me. I am hopelessly helpless, yet hopeful in You.


Comments

Popular Posts