Knocked Off My Heels

I wore flats to church today. Pants too. It felt weird. Not because people were judging my outfit but because I'm old school enough, or maybe brain washed, that I want to be dressed up on Sunday mornings. Don't get me wrong, I've worn pants plenty of times. In fact, I fully embraced the notion once our southern baptist church crossed over into the realm of making "whatever" acceptable. Yet somehow in my subconscious I still feel the desire (need?) to dress up. Today the flats were throwing me way more than the pants. I felt too "casual" for church. I also couldn't shake the feeling that I somehow felt significantly insignificant. 

At 5 feet and 4.25", I enjoy a nice pair of heels that elevate my stature. I have a tendency to slouch when I'm lazy and wearing heels helps me stand up straight and keeps my posture in check. I was short today. Noticeably short. Was the missing 3" somehow keeping me from being closer to God? Heavens no. But it did get me thinking about the flats I was wearing and my posture before a Holy God. I wasn't just knocked off my heels - I was flat on my face as we sang about the holiness of God. The extra inches I was lacking didn't seem to be bringing me low enough. I should be prostrate before Him.

Heaven and earth are full, full of Your glory, Your glory
My soul is overwhelmed by all of Your glory, Your glory
Oh blessed is He who reigns, full of Your glory, Your glory
My cup cannot contain all of Your glory, Your glory
Hosanna we are found, after all You are Holy

There's something that happens when you consider the holiness of God. The overwhelming understanding of His true righteousness brings about the reality of who I truly am. A wretch. A sinner. It seems to be magnified in the presence of a magnificent and Holy God. Yet He doesn't reject me. He prepared a way for me. Man has fallen from Him and yet through the blood of Christ His Son, this soul can be redeemed. Hosanna we are found by Him, a holy God!

My height and my shoes have no bearing on my posture when I am in the presence of a Holy God. Today it took a pair of flats and some amazing worship to remind me of who He is and how He has redeemed my life. 

Comments

Popular Posts