Real Life

I have severely neglected this little blog of mine. I've always said it's for me to capture my thoughts and if someone wants to share in that then I'm happy to bring you along for the ride. It's a crazy one, though, and I decided to make today's post an ode to that specifically.

Halfway into the new month and I admit it's thrown me for a loop. It started out somber, celebrating the life of our beloved Poppy and now trying to figure out how to do life without him. We came home to snow - 8 inches to be exact - and the kids have been out of school for days. We're in the middle of a four-day holiday weekend so at this point we have yet to establish our new year routine.

We enjoyed snow cream and coloring in the snow with "snow markers." Eli had cousin time and Nana time along with plenty of hot chocolate. But if I'm being honest, we didn't spend much time outside nor did we fill our snow days with activity and mind-provoking projects. I admit to being a wimp when it came to playing in the snow although my excuse at the time was the baby would be too cold and was far too busy (lazy?) inside to plan out fun-filled days.

The one day that Eli had school this week was actually the hardest. Trying to entertain a very active and precocious 14 month old has proven to be one of my greatest challenges. (It's also made me extremely grateful for the bond and relationship she has with her brother who keeps her thoroughly entertained.) We read every book on her bookshelf, played motor skill games, went outside, took a walk around the neighborhood, played puzzles (well, she mostly threw the pieces while I put them back neatly), and made imaginative food in her play kitchen. All of that happened before lunch time and we still had the afternoon to figure out how to keep each other entertained. We went inside and outside and upstairs and downstairs and did the whole rotation again. One of us was ready for a nap and I'll just give you a hint that it was NOT the little person!

She learned the color purple and yellow. Okay, let's be honest. She learned to say the color purple and yellow. Whether or not she'll actually remember and associate the names with their respective colors has yet to be determined. But our little mimic repeats everything we say and for this particular day she proved she could say two of my most favorite colors.

I couldn't have been prouder of my sweet little daughter and was feeling somewhat accomplished for teaching her something. We came back inside and washed our hands and I went to make her lunch. I thought she was playing in her own kitchen until I heard water sloshing. Puzzled I called her name only to come around the corner and see her playing in the toilet. So much for washed hands. In case you're wondering, I didn't overreact. Mostly because this wasn't the first time and I'm nearly certain it won't be her last. I'm thinking we'll need to invest in a water table for the spring...

Snack time after lunch and I allowed her to be in the bonus room because I was in the middle of laundry. She was also not right by my side digging into the laundry baskets like usual. So I peeked around the corner and found her "painting" with her food pouch as she squeezed its orange contents all over the floor then smeared it in for good measure. Of course it was on the carpet and couch. Why wouldn't it be?! Those make much better canvases than bare floors let alone the artwork of pureed baby food is nearly a lost talent considering us parents want our children to EAT it instead!

I'm happy to report we all survived the day. Even Eli who fell in gym class and busted his lip. The nurse called me before 9:30 a.m. on his one and only school day the entire week.

I had big plans for us on our Friday off, none of which were able to happen because of an unexpected and crippling migraine. I don't know what I'd do without my mama who came over to take care of the kids while I spent the day sleeping it off.

A best friend camp out in the basement turned into two boys bounding up the stairs multiple times then finally again at 1 a.m. saying they were hungry and ready to wake up. Mama bear was not so anxious to see them and sent them to separate beds to finally fall let us all sleep. It's 10 a.m. and they're still sleeping.

This is real life. I share it because I don't ever want anyone to get the wrong idea about me or what I post on Facebook. Oh yes, I love posting the sweet and funny images of my children, their smiles and cute antics. But I know all too well the jealousy and judgment that can come when we see the picture perfect life that is really just a snapshot of the full story. So here's the full story. At least for this week. Filled with snow days and way too much screen time, three meals in a row eaten out, play-time in the potty (not really) and one tired mama just leisurely sipping her coffee as if I didn't have a care in the world (or unfolded laundry in the dryer, bathrooms to clean, meals to plan and prep, groceries to buy, sheets to change, you get the picture...). This is real life. My life. Don't be jealous and don't judge. (Please don't laugh either!)


Popular posts from this blog



Panic Stricken