Depot Road

You never know what we'll see on our adventures into Rustburg. It's one of the narrowest and windiest roads I've ever traveled. It's not big enough for a car to pass a semi full of cattle. Just ask me. I know because I've been nearly run off the road in the process. Twice.

You don't pass a lot of trucks but you do get stuck behind a lot of farm vehicles. Tractors pulling hay make for an especially amazing way to test your patience on the morning drive when you're already running late. I know this all-too-well.

Much like a roller coaster, it twists and turns and makes its way around bends and hills. I'm always careful though I know the road well. I traveled that way to school daily and it's the road that leads to our sitter's house. She kept Eli and now Violet so we've traveled that road for years. She's near and dear to our family which is why the drive is worth it.

Despite knowing what's coming, at least the way the road goes, I never take it too fast for the simple fact you don't know what may be ahead. At least twice I've had to come to a full stop for a loose cow in the road along with my fair share of squirrels, raccoons, possums, chickens, cats, and dogs. The amount of cardinals I see using this route as their flight plan is always a sight I love to behold.

I hit a straight away on the road this morning and could see something in the road ahead. Not knowing what it was, I started to slow down. I could tell it was moving but it seemed to be almost crawling. I couldn't make out the shaky movements. I was nearly stopped at this point, the unidentified object just a few feet ahead, and now I was mesmerized. There at the edge of the road was the tiniest little fawn. I scanned the road and brush and got a glimpse of the mama. She was just a few feet away and had already safely crossed but this little one was barely even standing. It was the size of a small cat with fresh little white spots all over its body and I guessed from the way it was struggling to stand it may have been hours old.

I made sure they were both safely across and well hidden in the brush before making my own progress but I was still in awe of the scene I had witnessed. Pure beauty. The admiration of nature in its simplest form and I was certain I had just seen a fawn taking some of its first steps.

This road is a lot like life. It can seem familiar at times and yet so unpredictable. It can be full of obstacles and new adventures. It can bring absolute frustration and pure joy. I know the road and can anticipate the way but I can't predict what may be in the way.

There's a reward for traveling this path. It leads to our trusted childcare. It's often inconvenient but it's the only way to get to where we need to go. Despite how many trips I've taken down that road, there's always something new and unexpected, like today's baby fawn. Tomorrow it may be a tractor going 5 miles per hour and I'll need to remember to give thanks for that miracle too!


Comments

Popular Posts