Worry

What happens when the worries of life literally choke the life from us?
In Mark 4, Jesus tells the parable of the seed. Some seeds have no roots, some grow among the thorns, some produce fruit. Some hear the word but the "worries of this life...come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful." (Mark 4:19)
At its root, the word worry means strangle, harass, or seize. It even has the connotation of anxiety or mental strangulation. Did you catch that? The torment that comes with the definition seems to cover the myriad of mental and emotional anguish worry brings.
You know I don’t write about things I don’t understand and you can rest assured when it comes to worry I am an expert. I know what this feels like. Gasping for air while being strangled alive by worry. Seized with fear, paralyzed by anxiety. Buried alive beneath the weight of the worries and woes that can crush us.
At its core for me, worry comes from my inability to control the circumstances around me. When I have no control over what’s happening or can’t control the outcome, I worry, I fret, I get anxious, and I always try to get involved. Anyone want to join my support group???
What I’ve learned is my worrying changes NOTHING. I have zero influence over the outcome, rather the worry ends up overtaking me. Usually my involvement ends up making a bigger mess and often finds me regretting my actions and lack of patience. If only I had just waited and trusted... So I have to come back to the promises I know to be true:
Cast your cares (anxiety) upon the Lord for He cares for you.
Be anxious for nothing but by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Philippians 4:6-7 (How many times have I stopped to turn my worries into THANKS?)
Do not worry about your life...seek first the Kingdom of God and all these things will be added unto you. Matthew 6 (Literally commanded not to worry and to seek God in all things.)
When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy. Psalm 94:19 (Can I find joy in Him even when I’m being strangled by my worry?)
Come to me all who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28 (His yoke is easy and light and He wants to replace my worry with rest if I will just give it to Him.)
Peace I give you...Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27 (Often worry stems from fear - fear of the unknown, fear of what I can’t control.)
I could keep going but my guess is most of these are already familiar. So why does worry continue to creep in then seize us with paralyzing fear? It’s not by happenstance there are so many verses in the Bible to serve as reminders of how we should handle worry and fear. I’m guessing I’m not alone in this support group. It’s not an easy surrender. I keep a death grip on the things I have no control over in an effort to try to maintain control. I know I don’t want to be choked to death by the strangling worries that seek to destroy me. I want to live in His peace and rest in His freedom. When will I ever learn?!
I’ve shared this before but it’s once again applicable. The problem with a living sacrifice is we keep getting up and crawling off the altar. Guilty as charged. I surrender...then I try to take back control. It’s a vicious cycle of doubt, worry, and the inability to fully trust and rest in the Lord.
If this is something you also struggle with, then my guess is it will most likely be an ongoing battle for you, too. I know there’s victory and peace in the Lord. I also know my human response to things I can’t control. I don’t always do this well but I’m learning. I know the alternative of letting worry strangle the life from me and that’s not the place I want to find myself. I want to walk in freedom and surrender, even when circumstances are hard or uncertain. I want to find peace and rest in God alone. I want to surrender my choking worry for the peace that passes all understanding so His joy can be mine in whatever I face. You too?

Comments

Popular Posts