Sunday Morning Worship

Our Sundays look different, don't they? At least they do for us.

The first Sunday didn't feel as different for me because I was still a part of the small team who showed up to lead worship. Singing in an empty sanctuary didn't feel weird because I still felt His presence. I hoped and prayed it was felt through everyone's screen.

The next Sunday found me at home and not sure what to do with myself. My daughter didn't know what to do with herself, either. She wanted to see her friends and I tried to console her as she cried in the middle of the floor. We decided to get dressed up. We put on dresses, did our hair and makeup, and we claimed a front row seat on the couch.

We started with a neighboring church's worship at 9:15. I didn't hold back my worship and was told I was being too loud. She even let me know they were singing better than me. Gee, thanks. Some of their worship team were friends of mine and I enjoyed being able to worship with them.

We switched to our service at 10 a.m. When it was time for the message, I pulled out my bible and journal. I wanted to follow along. The kids had lost interest at this point and we dismissed them to their rooms. When our service concluded, I wanted more. I switched to yet another message, our soon-to-be pastor. Ironically both messages had come from the same book. I knew the Lord was speaking to me and yet I was still not sure what He needed me to hear.

I know it's not the same. I felt it. Something was missing. A lot of things were missing. I miss our congregation. I miss our fellowship. I miss shaking hands, saying hi to people, and catching up on life. I miss hearing a room filled with voices lifted in praise. I miss a full orchestra playing a symphony of worship. I know it's not the same.

As you prepare to worship this Sunday, spend time preparing yourself, your heart, your time, and your space. We watch on our big screen TV. We dress for church. We take it seriously. We take notes. We open our bibles. We listen. We try to keep distractions at a minimum (silence your cell phone and your children...just kidding). Sing. For real! Sing out loud. Lift your hands. WORSHIP! Know that wherever you are watching, others are watching with you. Pray for those behind the scenes putting together the live stream. Pray for those in other homes worshiping. I encourage you to make a list of people you miss seeing each week and then REACH OUT. Send them texts, call, mail a card. Do something to let them know they're on your heart and in your mind. Visitation looks different and it has to be intentional.

Sunday, April 5, is Palm Sunday. It's the Sunday we celebrate Jesus coming into town being celebrated as the crowds cried out "Hosanna! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord." (John 12:13) We know what happened next. We also know this isn't just a story. We know He came to be our King of kings and Lord of lords. He came to be our Savior. We can celebrate Palm Sunday because He is still on the throne as King of all. We can put our trust in Him because He holds the world in His hands and He's holding us together, no matter what. We can lift our hands in praise and celebrate Him knowing He has provided a way of deliverance for each and every one of us.

Sundays look different at home and at church but there's no reason NOT to celebrate who He is and the risen Savior. This is a week we enter into as Christians knowing the ultimate price that was paid and the power that conquered death. This is the week above all weeks when we hold fast to the faith we have because we know we serve a risen Savior. If He can conquer death and be the atonement for each and every one of us, He can certainly provide for us in this pandemic.

Palm Sunday 2019: What is it and why is it so important to ...

1. Be ready for worship.
2. Turn off distractions.
3. Open your bible and take notes.
4. SING!
5. Pray.
6. Reach out to people.

Comments

Popular Posts