Green Paw

Four green paws in a row. And then it happened. Friday rolled around and the folder sent home bore a yellow paw print with a note from the teacher. Apparently, this mind-of-his-own four-year-old did what he wanted to and not what he was told. The box was checked indicating improvement in the areas of listening and following instructions. The note said the teacher had counted to 3 but he "didn't want to" do as she asked.

I asked him about the yellow paw incident, to which he responded, "I don't want to tell you." You're 4, not 14. You're too young to clam up!

I don't really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do what I hate. Romans 7:15

Anyone else found yourself confused by your own actions? Dumbfounded by your choices? Bewildered by what you do, despite not wanting to do it?! You find yourself buried underneath catastrophic decisions even though you knew better.

I dare say I've found myself on yellow more than I want to admit. And even worse, I've gone well beyond the color-coded elementary warning system that represents behavioral choices and consequences.

We do what we know is wrong. We don't do what we know we should. It's a struggle, right? We wrestle against our flesh. We battle our inherent sin nature.

Yellow was last week. Today is a new day. And now I'm anxiously awaiting the reveal of the day's colored paw print. Yes, we suffer consequences of last week's choices. But each day His mercies are new to us, and each day we can live as more than conquerers because of His power within us.

Here's hoping for a Green Paw!

Comments

Popular Posts