Interruptions

I started writing this blog at 7 a.m. It's nearly 10 p.m. and I still haven't completed it. This isn't a typical case of writer's block. It's a bad case of interruptions!

Every time I got ready to type, the phone rang. Each time I started to look up scripture, I got a text message or email that required attention (or maybe just served as a distraction). As soon as I wanted to focus my mind in prayer and let the Holy Spirit speak to and through me, I found myself engaging in other conversations that prevented me from hearing from the Lord.

Admittedly, it's my own fault. I needed to get alone. Set time aside where I'd be by myself. Spend concentrated time and effort on hearing from the Lord. Designate a space that provided an environment of solitude yet fostered His presence. Prepare a heart and mind attitude ready to seek Him (and ready and alert to find Him, too!).

Priscilla Shirer changes the word "interruption" to "divine intervention." The equation goes:

           Insignificant Person + Insignificant Task = Interruption

                                              ~ OR ~
      
           Significant Person + Significant Task = Divine Intervention

Do I have time for these "interruptions"? Do I stop for them? Do I give my attention or do I turn the other cheek? Do I get annoyed? Do I get frustrated? Do I lash out? It's true that the things and people I place value on don't "bother" me, but dare it be something or someone I deem insignificant...well, that changes my response. What if...the point of even writing this blog was to be interrupted - over, and over, and over again - so that finally by the end of the day, I am left with nothing of significance to say except that the interruptions I faced were the whole lesson.

What I know is I don't always respond as if the person or problem or project is "my privilege." But I do know if I start to place significance on whatever it is that feels or appears like an "interruption," I believe my perspective will start to change to see these opportunities as God's divine intervention in my life. What's more is if I realize these are appointments from God, I will have a better understanding of His active presence at work in my life. Praise God for these "interruptions!"

Comments

Popular Posts