A New Day

There's something supernatural about watching the sun rise; taking its majestic place in the sky, revealing brilliant hues across the horizon as it assumes position. It declares a new day as it rises. And the world that once rested peacefully in the night is alerted to the possibility of this new day.

A new day. What does it hold? New opportunities. New challenges. New fears. New accomplishments. Each day, a new day, not like the one before. We count our days in weeks and months and years but by itself, this day - today - stands alone. There will never be another day like it.

"My faithful God, help me to call this to mind and therefore always have hope; Because of Your great love, I am not consumed, for Your compassions never fail. They are new toward me every morning; great is Your faithfulness. I will say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for Him." (Praying God's Word from Lamentations 3:22-24)

Just as surely as the sun rises, it also sets. Each night it goes down, declaring the end of another day. Taking the opportunity to 'rest' until resuming its rightful place tomorrow. The sky once again becomes God's canvas, displaying brilliant strokes of color and reflections of light. Majestic all over again.

While I enjoy the first signs of sunlight in each new sunrise, I've always been partial to sunsets. At the end of the day - no matter what has happened, no matter how I've failed, no matter what mistakes I've made, no matter what accomplishments I've seen, no matter how my feelings got the best of me - the sunset reminds me that God never left. He is still sovereign. He is still present. Even at the end of what may have been one of (my) life's most disastrous days, it is His reminder to me that He's still there, still watching over me, still displaying His love for me. And even at the end of this day I am reminded that tomorrow will be a new day all over again.

I have no idea where this quote came from but I've lived by it since high school: "The fact that I am alive today is proof positive that God has something for me to do." Amen to that! And amen to a new day!

Enjoy this Francis Chan video and may today be a new day for you, too!



Make it Count

Comments

Popular Posts