Carrie's Closet

Today's blog is a bit "off topic" but inspired by a friend's recent post about her non-fashion, combined with an opportunity to go through another friend's closet and help her coordinate outfits. Today's post is all about fashion.

I don't call myself an expert when it comes to being a trend setter or fashion guru. I do have a love for shopping and I enjoy clothes and accessorizing. I'm a girly-girl through and through, so I love all things makeup and hair, too. These things don't define me. It' just fun. I think your style can say a lot about your personality, but I don't think it says everything. For those of you who ask where I shop or how I put outfits together, here are a few fun tips.

I dabble with trends. Never anything extreme, but just enough to enjoy it for the season before it comes and goes. I'm much too practical (and too cheap!) to redo my wardrobe with every new runway reveal.

Right now I'm loving color blocking. I haven't purchased any brightly colored skinny jeans (I'm having way too many flashbacks of the 80's) but I have matched up a few new outfits from already existing pieces I own. I'm not doing anything extreme here, either, but if you're not sure where to start, I like the advice from Style Prompt with the Color Wheel:

“The most popular theory for combining colors is called the rule of two-thirds. How you achieve the rule of two-thirds starts by making an equilateral triangle (a triangle with 3 equal sides) on the color wheel… From there, you pick two of the three colors that the triangle touches. These colors will almost always harmonize together beautifully.”

I love scarves. LOVE SCARVES! I don't think you can have too many, nor do I believe you can go wrong with adding a scarf to any outfit! They work with any outfit AND any body shape. You just have to find the "right" way to wear it to fit your style, shape and size. Here are a few examples.


http://raisingdudes.blogspot.ca/2012/03/over-40-ways-to-tie-scarf.html





Boots! I have way too many pair. These are my favorite (I have them in black & brown) with skinny jeans, layered on top with a solid print cardigan and a different color or print top underneath, maybe topped with a scarf to tie it all together. These are great for cool, casual fall days. I admit to keeping my shoes fairly neutral in fall (I do own a pair of leopard print wedge heels that are way too fun).

Another fun wardrobe piece are ankle boots. Still popular this season. I got mine on clearance for $8. See?! I told you I'm cheap. I admit these are bit harder to pair. But they look great with leggings and a sweater or long top, a dress (with or without leggings), skinny jeans, or skirts.


My best advice is closet organization. My closet is organized by color (much like the above color wheel) but it helps me be able to quickly find what I'm looking for and easily put outfits together.

It's fall and with the changing seasons you may also consider making subtle changes to your hair or makeup. I'm a big believer this starts with taking good care of your skin. (No Dove soap or Jergen's lotion on your face, please!) I'm not here to promote one brand over another, but I have been an avid Mary Kay skin care user for about 14 years now and I just can't say enough about the products and how my skin looks and feels. I do admit to dabbling with other makeup products that I love, like MAC eyeshadows and lip glosses or my fool-proof Volume Lash mascara by Maybelline.

I always switch out my foundation for a lighter shade with more coverage during the fall/winter months when I have no sun-kissed color. I add a bronzing powder and a darker blush. I also have fun with eyeshadows and typically add a lipstick base underneath my gloss.

Fall and winter are great months to give your locks some extra love. Make sure to use conditioner to keep your hair healthy. If you're ready to play with color, consider the ever-popular Ombre look. This has allowed me to incorporate some highlights and lowlights along with my "natural" color. It's relatively 'maintenance-free' because the darker color typically starts at the top so as your hair grows out, you may only need to touch up roots.

The bottom line: Your style is your own. It's not about changing who you are. Again, clothes and makeup and hair don't define who I am. I just have fun with these things. I enjoy dressing up and looking nice, but I also love my trusted stack of hoodies and comfy jeans, or my velour "mom-suits" as I call the zip up jackets and matching pant outfits that I admit to owning. Of course, I'm always ready & willing to accompany you on any shopping trip or help organize your closet as well! :)

Comments

Popular Posts