Tis the Season

It's beginning to look a lot like ...

It's November 1st and the official kick off of the Holiday season has begun. I was strolling through the stores last night (Halloween) and Christmas decor was on full display. Christmas music was even playing to enlighten the shopping experience despite the workers donning Halloween costumes. I admit I was dealing with a little bit of holiday confusion not sure which one to celebrate. But today I can say with full confidence: the most wonderful time of year is here!

Before I get ahead of myself and start trimming the tree, I don't want to miss the fullness of all this season entails. I am mindful that November is a time to remember, reflect and count the many blessings in life as we prepare for Thanksgiving. Make no mistake: I love that this holiday centers around a table-filled celebration. My mouth is watering at just the thought of turkey and all the trimmings. But before the turkey is carved and I stuff myself full, I am making a mindful choice to enter this season with a spirit of thankfulness.

Sure. There's a lot to complain about. There is much to be concerned over. There are certainly monumental things ahead that overwhelm. There's just cause for anxiety. There are even justifiable reasons to let fears overtake any thoughts of thanksgiving. Regardless of what seeks to steal my joy, I choose to enter into His gates with Thanksgiving.

When I draw near to Him, when I seek His presence, when I seek His face with a desire to know HIM, rather than seek His hand and what He can give or do for me, then I can be filled with rejoicing. I can experience joy. I can count my blessings because of who He is in my life - not because of what I have (or don't have) or what I seek or even what I worry about.

We shouldn't need a date on the calendar or the holiday adornment to cause us to remember and reflect, but I don't want this season to go by without making a conscious effort to give thanks. So, today, November 1st, I kick off the season with full anticipation of all it will bring. Over the next 30 days, I have 30 "thanks-inspired" verses and reminders to post. If we're Facebook friends, you'll see these daily. If you're a blog reader, they'll appear intermittently.

"They will celebrate your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of your righteousness." Psalm 145:7

Even as I blog, the Christmas songs are playing on Pandora. Yes, I am celebrating and joyfully singing! I hope you will join me!

Comments

Popular Posts