Extraordinarily Ordinary

“In a million unique ways - as we change diapers, eat dinner, return emails, pay the bills - we are to be the evidence of God. Jesus factored in the mundane... So do your everyday and your ordinary. Godliness is found and formed in those places.” - Jennie Allen, “Made For This”
I got the laundry washed, dried, folded, and put away all in the same day. Can we just pause and celebrate that win for a moment?!
I played a guest in an imaginary restaurant while my 3-year-old took my order and prepared my plastic food in her preschool-sized kitchen.
I made dinner. A full balanced home cooked meal. Yep, you guessed it. Another celebration is in order. ((Praise Hands))
I took a walk all the way down our new street while my son rode beside me on his scooter talking about our days.
I cleaned out an entire bin of clothes and went through what would and wouldn’t fit my children who refuse to stop growing. Little rascals!
Today was a good day. Today was an ordinary day. Today was a typical day in all its glory and atypical in its nothingness. In my list of accomplishments, I can’t recount anything monumental and yet even the mundane could be counted as significant. What am I trying to say?
In that moment of playing pretend with my preschooler, I watched her explore her creativity and strengths. In that walk with my boy, we talked about big things, hard things, and I reminded him how much I love him. In my pursuit of service to my family, I was serving my Savior. I may not have impacted the masses today and I may not have made a significant difference, but today was no less significant.
Some days are nothing extraordinary. Some days are mundane and consistent and regimented and routine-oriented. Some days are messy and full and some days are neat and empty. In the emptiness and mundane, we can find Him. In the fullness and the extraordinary, we can experience Him. In all of what we do or don’t do, we can become more like Him in the simple surrender and willingness to seek Him in everything.

Comments

Popular Posts