Salt, Light and a Little Bit of Creamer

I have a confession. You know I’m always gut-level honest and usually extremely vulnerable. Even as I type, I can’t believe I haven’t told you sooner...
I switched coffee creamers.
Before I tell you what it is, we need to back up. I started my usual Pumpkin Spice craze in August when it was still 90 degrees outside. Peppermint Mocha made its entrance as soon as I had my Christmas tree up the beginning of November. Here we are in March, a budding new season, the hope of warmer weather and more daylight, and I reached the point where the flavors of the seasons gone by were no longer satisfying my morning cup of coffee. It almost seems like betrayal but I just have to be honest.
So I made the switch. To what, you ask? French Vanilla. I know. It may be the most basic of them all. The only thing that could be more original would be the original no-flavor creamer. The thing is...I don’t want the full flavor of the creamer. I want a hint of it against my espresso roast. I want to taste the coffee and want the creamer to be its subtle compliment. Still, switching creamers seems like a really big deal. My coffee very much feels like a part of my personality.
You wouldn’t have known if I hadn’t told you. A simple glance at my coffee reveals the addition of creamer but the flavor isn’t something you could know without tasting it. The dark caffeinated finely ground beans are flavorful, deep, and rich. This is my coffee.
Don’t forget the importance of salt and light (Matthew 5:13-16). The walk must match the talk. Faith without works is dead. What good is it if we say we have faith but have nothing to back it up? (Check out James 2)
It’s as simple as the flavor of our coffee creamer. It’s as significant as the seasoning on our food. Our testimonies of faith lack anything of eternal value if we don’t demonstrate what we say we believe. I might as well be drinking decaf for heaven’s sake!
Be the salt and light. Be the caffeinated flavored coffee (or however you drink it). Don’t miss the significance of the simple, small acts of kindness and generosity as an opportunity to share Christ. We are the living, breathing examples of His hands and feet at work. Sometimes all it takes is the simplest act of sprinkling His love on someone with just the hint of His goodness.

Comments

Popular Posts