The Heart of Holiness

"Be holy because I, the Lord your God, am holy." Leviticus 19:2

He beckons me. Holiness is my goal. But how am I, a victim of fallen flesh, to be like a perfect and holy God?
"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" Jeremiah 17:9

What I know is that if I don't let Him help Himself to my heart - the hidden parts and all - I may experience the terrible possibilities that lie within. I cannot achieve true holiness with this darkness lurking inside.

He calls me out: "Those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart.... For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts..." Matthew 15:18-19

If my heart reveals the "truth" about me, then I'd rather keep those things hidden away. Yet my Omniscient God can't allow it. He knows my thoughts, sees my comings and goings, and even reveals the darkest depths of my heart.

If holiness is synonymous with godliness, I must get to the heart of it all. Pushing past the darkness; burning away the chaff; revealing the depths of my heart; replacing the evil with purity.

"Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness." Psalm 29:2

So I give to Him - I give Him myself, my broken, tattered, used and corrupted heart. I give Him my faults and failures; my pain and turmoil. I give Him my successes and accomplishments and the things I'm proud of. I give Him my praise and the glory due to Him. I give Him my bleeding, wounded heart and He gives me the beauty of His holiness.

Holiness, holiness is what I long for
Holiness, is what I need
Holiness, holiness is what you want from me

Take my heart and form it
Take my mind and transform it
Take my will and conform it
To Yours, to Yours, Oh Lord

Comments

Popular Posts