The One

It was a full blown invasion of toy cars. A complete city was constructed out of Legos, a floor mat offered parking spaces and fake trees added to our creative play. We had enough cars to open our own toy car dealership. I grew up playing with Barbie dolls and preparing them for their fashion show, but I admit...I had a grand time pushing tiny cars around and making "vroom" sounds as I entered the world of make believe with my son. That was Monday.

Today is Thursday and the city has long-since been put away, the toy cars making their way back into the toy box. The mat has been folded up, the Legos are back in their container, and the trees are out of sight. (This OCD mama has to have things somewhat in order.) Save but one...

One single bright green convertible car remained out of the box, left in the middle of the floor and out of place. I don't know how many times I'd caught a glimpse of the car in the past 3 days, multiple times thinking to myself, "I need to put that away." I've passed by it, even stepped over it. It would have taken but a few extra seconds and a tiny bit of energy to pause, bend down, pick it up and toss it in the box. And yet, I've left it out, despite it's obvious out-of-place resting spot in the middle of the living room floor.

And then it happened. I was on a mission, as usual. Eyes ahead. Not looking down. Walking across the room. Then....OUCH! The arch of my barefoot met the hard metal convertible car. Blast! If only I'd put the car away on Monday...or Tuesday...or Wednesday...or any of the number of times I had passed by it and ignored it's presence.

“Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.'" Luke 15:4-6

I'm so thankful my Heavenly Father doesn't walk past me, overlook me, step over me or ignore my presence. I'm never tossed out, left behind, forgotten or left alone. When I am lost, He seeks me and finds me. When I am alone, He comforts and holds me. When I am wounded, He tends to me. When I am unable to move, He carries me. When I am out of place, He brings me home.

"I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent." Luke 15:7

You may feel out of place, lost, alone, abandoned, maybe even wounded and broken. But your gentle Shepherd is coming after you to carry you home and rejoice over you. You are His chosen. His beloved. The one.


Comments

Popular Posts