Sum-sum-summertime

We were attending a child's birthday party, basking in the warmth of mid-80 degree temperatures, a clear blue sky with full sun, and swatting gnats left and right in the rising humidity. I casually asked the almost-five-year-old if he was enjoying his summer. To which he replied, "No. I'm not enjoying my summer because it's not summer yet. But I am enjoying my spring." Oh. Okay. I had been schooled by a preschooler. According to my world that revolves around a collegiate calendar, summer "break" began more than a month ago... But to his credit he was right.

Today I may appropriately and correctly wish him a happy summer. Bring it on, I say! I'm usually more of a spring girl with mild temperatures and budding blossoms, but I admit I am enjoying the hot temperatures, warm sun, and the fact that it's light outside until at least 9 p.m. I suppose with wishful thinking I am hoping to truly embrace the "lazy days of summer"...but I am still uncertain if this will be my future or not. I would love to tell you I'll be celebrating by the pool sipping lemonade, but instead I've donned my sundress and sandals as I head off to work.

However you may be spending the day, we are ushering in summer and I'm at least singing "Sum-sum-summertime!" along with The Jamies (yes, I did have to google that). One of the lines in the song caught my attention:


Well shut them books and throw 'em away
And say goodbye to dull school days
Look alive and change your ways
It's summertime...



Look alive and change your ways. Maybe it's time for a change. Maybe with the celebration of this change of seasons, a change in life or lifestyle is needed too. I am certain there are changes I can make that will help me not look alive but feel alive.


I know where to go for these changes. I know what to do to make them happen. I don't have to wait for the season to change or a lazy day by the pool. I simply have to determine that today, no matter what day it is, is cause enough for me to celebrate my life in Christ.


But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions--it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus... Ephesians 2:4

Look alive. It's summer. But more than that, you've been made alive in Christ - saved from the death of your sins - if you've accepted His saving grace. He's raising you up today, this day, summer or not. Sunshine or not.

I hope you enjoy the first day of summer, but more importantly I hope you enjoy your life in Christ.

Comments

Popular Posts