Hear Your Bride

And now I've never been so sure
Of anything before
Like I am in this moment here with you
Now for better or for worse are so much more than only words
And I pray everyday would be the proof
That I mean what I say when I say I do

I sang the words as I stood beneath a giant oak tree. The sun setting behind me, a summer breeze blowing through my hair, the setting couldn't have been more perfect. I looked out among the crowd who had gathered, anxiously waiting for the bride to make her grand entrance. I stared at the beautiful backdrop that would become the altar where a couple would pledge their lives and their love and become one. I put my whole heart into the notes I bellowed as tears filled up my eyes. This was all so real. It was tender. My heart swelled as the music soared across the field.

I recalled a time when I would attend weddings and sit with silent skepticism as I hoped and prayed the couple truly knew what they were getting into. I used to fear for them, wondering if they'd truly be happy, questioning if love could be real. I used to hope they were standing there in naivety and ignorance yet praying their reality wouldn't be devastating.

But not now. Not this time. This was different.

This time I had joy. There was something real, something pure that I could believe in. It was the hope of what I had always held onto and now knew to be true.

Come Thou Fount
Come Thou King
Come Thou Precious Prince of Peace
Hear Your Bride
To You We Sing
Come Thou Fount of Our Blessing

I sang the words louder and stronger than I'd ever sung. It seemed fitting that less than a day later, the same bride and groom who stood at the altar and exchanged vows last night walked forward to kneel at the altar of the church and be prayed over this morning. Tears filled my eyes once again as I worshipped.

"My heart's cry, Lord, hear Your Bride. I'm here. Standing here with hands lifted, heart raised, offering all of me. Lord, I've been the innocent and pure bride. I've also been the heart prone to wander. I've been the heart out of tune taught to sing Your Grace. Lord, now I sing to you a new song, where my heart has found a home."

For your Maker is your husband—
the Lord Almighty is his name—
Isaiah 55:5

How many years had I claimed that verse? How many tears had I cried as I prayed for The Lord to meet my every need? Now I was crying tears of joy, no longer pained and rejected. No longer hurting and hardened.

I stood knowing I would stand again as a bride. Knowing I would bow my heart and pledge my life. Knowing God's will with hope and joy and calling upon His blessing to come.

I will betroth you to me forever;
I will betroth you in righteousness and justice,
in love and compassion.
I will betroth you in faithfulness,
and you will acknowledge the Lord.
Hosea 2:19-20

Hear Your Bride to You I Sing
Come Thou Fount of Our Blessing



Comments

Popular Posts