Let Us Pray

"Be anxious for nothing. But in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God." Philippians 4:6-7

Sure, every "good" Christian prays. We take our requests to God, we let our petitions be known, and we seek answers from Him. So often I beat myself up or feel guilty because I know I should pray more. So why don't I? Do I just not make time? Do I forget? Do I intentionally neglect it? What am I supposed to pray about? What do I say? What am I missing?

It seems in crisis I have no trouble at all going to God with all my troubles and seeking Him to work and move. But I was convicted of using prayer as an emergency response. If it's not my crisis I'm praying about, then it's someone else's. All the things others around me might be struggling with that I think I can make my concern so I have something to take to God. After some self reflection and a compelling series of messages on prayer, I've come to the realization I'm treating prayer all wrong.

Prayer is entering into the presence of God. When I go before Him, the only thing I should be concerned about is who He is, His Godness, His Holiness, and savoring the mere privilege I have to approach Him. Not with my requests, but with the intent that I am to become more like Him. By spending time in prayer, I remain in His presence and get to experience who He is as He shapes me to become more like Him.

It doesn't mean I can't make requests known to Him. The Creator of the Universe wants me to bring Him the things that weigh on my soul but He asks me to cast my cares upon Him. And then leave it. It becomes my responsibility to give it to Him once and for all, allowing Him to exchange my burden for His yoke that is light. All the while I get the privilege to rest in His presence, knowing He's working it out for my good.

It's not my concern how He answers. It is my responsibility to know Him and become more like Him. So the issue isn't whether I pray enough. It's about spending more time with Him, being still in His presence and becoming more like Him.

Comments

Popular Posts