Eyes on Jesus, Heart in His Hands

It's time. I've been putting this post off for awhile. Not for any specific reason, other than I haven't been sure I could really do it justice. But today is the day that I am being lead to share this.

Eyes on Jesus, heart in His hands.

You may have heard me say it, post it as my status, or share it on any number of people's walls. I can't pinpoint an actual date, but some months ago God gave me this phrase as somewhat of an anthem. It has become the theme of my life.

Over and over as I've faced uncertainty, difficulty, trials, confusion, oppression, depression, bondage, crises, circumstances that seemed to overwhelm, I've uttered this reminder: Eyes on Jesus, Heart in His hands.

"Then Peter got out of the boat, walked on water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink, cried out, Lord, save me!" Matthew 14:29-30

How many times do I lose sight? How often am I distracted by the wind and waves around me? How many times do my eyes fixate on the circumstance? At that moment when I take my eyes off Jesus, I start to panic. I start to sink. In my own strength, I realize my inability to follow through. The insecurity causes doubt. The weakness can lead me to shut down. The fear paralyzes me. If only I would have kept my eyes on Him...

And so I have to remind myself - more often than I'd like to admit - "Keep your eyes on Jesus. He's got this. He's got you. Don't be overwhelmed by what seeks to take your gaze off Him. Just stay focused on the Lord."

"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:26

Boy do I ever know the truth of this verse. I can tell you story after story of how my flesh has fallen or my heart has failed. I think it's a ripple effect. I take my eyes off Christ, I lose sight of Him, and in my human weakness I fail. My heart hasn't just been broken, my spirit hasn't just been crushed - no, I can say without a doubt I've gone through a pulverization that has required complete reconstruction. I know where I'm weak. It hasn't prevented me from falling. But it has caused me to be ever mindful of who I give my heart to. So my constant admonishment to myself is to keep it safely in His hands. "Let Him hold you. Give Him your heart - your full heart. Your broken, hurting, bleeding heart. His healing hands will hold you."

And so I share this with you. For whatever you face. I know it to be true.

Eyes on Jesus, Heart in His hands.

You can't go wrong with this ever before you. I'm saying it over and over. I'm praying it for you.

"God always ignores your present level of completeness in favor of your ultimate future completeness. He is not concerned about making you blessed and happy right now, but He's continually working out His ultimate perfection for you." -Oswald Chambers

Steady My Heart - Kari Jobe


Comments

Popular Posts