What a Difference a Day Makes

Yesterday was sunny and 75. The cool breeze offered a consistent reminder that it is still spring despite the warmth of the sun.

The cloud cover today is blanketing the sky. It's a chilly 55 degrees with a cool and steady rain.

What a difference a day makes.

The sun may have been shining yesteday but my heart was downcast. And while the skies of grey could certainly make today look bleak, it bears no reflection of the joy I feel inside.

What a difference a day makes.

I remember my affliction and my wandering,
   the bitterness and the gall.
I well remember them,
   and my soul is downcast within me.
Yet this I call to mind
   and therefore I have hope:

Lamentations 3:19-21

Oh there have been days of affliction, certainly days - maybe longer - wandering in the wildnerness. I remember these days well, and I recall these days as a reminder...

Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed,
   for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
   great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion;
   therefore I will wait for him.”

The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him,
   to the one who seeks him;
it is good to wait quietly
   for the salvation of the LORD.

Lamentations 3:22-26

I wait for Him. I hope in Him. I am not consumed because today, this day, He is faithful. Surely, He alone is my portion and all that I need.

What a difference a day makes.

Let him sit alone in silence,
   for the LORD has laid it on him.
 Let him bury his face in the dust—
   there may yet be hope.
Let him offer his cheek to one who would strike him,
   and let him be filled with disgrace.

Lamentations 3:28-30

Just as the rain came this morning to literally wash away the dust from yesterday, so was His love showered on me to bring peace and joy. Yesterday I had to be still. Wait patientily for Him. Turn the other cheek. Sit in silence. Be alone. Seek... His face. His strength. His deliverance. His hope. His peace. His salvation.

Though he brings grief, he will show compassion,
   so great is his unfailing love....
I called on your name, LORD,
   from the depths of the pit.
You heard my plea: “Do not close your ears
   to my cry for relief.”
You came near when I called you,
   and you said, “Do not fear.”
Lamentations 3:32, 55-57

Yesterday might have brought trouble and grief but today has brought love and compassion. Yesterday may have been cause for concern but today He is my reason to rejoice. Yesterday I might have cried tears of pain but after crying out to Him, today He has answered me.

What a difference a day makes!

Comments

Popular Posts