Entitled

Entitled. It's my right or claim to something. And in this case, that sense of entitlement happens to be my belief that I have a right to myself.

It's my false assumption that I should have my own way - the desire of MY heart - simply because I feel it's what I'm owed.

This way of thinking is dangerous, to say the least. This is where I toe the line, and in most cases, fall off the edge into the abyss of my own disillusionment. It's my own fault. I lead myself in paths of self-righteousness for my own name's sake. I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, not of dying to myself, but killing the person God wants me to become.

You may be passing judgment on "the sin" that so easily entangles another - drinking, immorality, lying, cheating, stealing, gossiping, impurity - the things that entice and trap someone else aren't at all a temptation to you. And for that, you should be grateful. But maybe it's something else you're wrestling with.

"The nature of sin is not immorality and wrongdoing, but the nature of self-realization which leads us to say, 'I am my own god.' This nature may exhibit itself in proper morality or in improper immorality, but it always has a common basis - my claim to my right to myself." ~ Oswald Chambers in My Utmost for His Highest

Surely that isn't my claim, right?! I do not think I am my own god. I know better than that...

Yet I pursue my own desires.

I seek to gratify my heart and flesh.


I want what I want.


If I'm broken, I want healing.


If I'm unloved, I want cherishing.


If I'm lonely, I want company.


If I'm _____ (fill in the blank), I want ______ (what I want).


This is more than dying to self. This is not even about crucifying the desires of my flesh. This is about relinquishing every thought and feeling that is not grounded in what God wants for me and turning it over to Him. I'm not just replacing filthy rags for His righteousness. I am submitting my right to myself and what I desire so that He may have His way.

The only thing I'm entitled to is eternal damnation. What is due to me is what was paid for on the cross. I owe my life because He gave His. Now that is entitlement!

Comments

Popular Posts