Comforts of Home

Nearly one week ago our community was rocked by a storm called a "Derecho." I've never even heard of it, but I can now say I lived through it. The winds that caused extreme damage, thousands of downed trees and power lines, and millions without power found me putting things into perspective. It is with great rejoicing that not only did I live to blog about it, but now I can blog about it in my cool, lit up home. Thank You, Lord, the power has been restored! There are still dozens even in my neighborhood, and hundreds - if not thousands - throughout the town that remain in the dark.

I became somewhat of a vagabond after the virus E had spread to me and most of the family we were staying with. I had dinner at one friend's, food in another's freezer, laundry and clothes at several locations (not to mention piled in the back of my car) and - thankfully - a traveling pillow where I could lay my head each night. One cannot live (or sleep) without her memory foam pillow! :) I am so appreciative for the friends and family who opened their homes, hearts, kitchens, and everything else during this time of being displaced.

Dad & I cleaned out 5 refrigerators, made 3 trips to the dump and threw away more than a dozen garbage bags of food (mine, mom's, Lindsay's & Matt's). The trip to restock was enough to make you gulp. Even worse was the nastiness I cleaned out of some of those refrigerators. Enough to make you GAG! Especially after having a stomach virus.

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen but what is unseen; for what is seen is temporary but what is unseen is eternal. ~ 2 Corinithians 4:18

As I read 2 Corinthians 4:18 this morning it helped me remember this whole inconvenient circumstance is only temporary. Eventually everyone's power will be restored. Trees that fell are being chain-sawed into pieces and hauled away. Damage done to homes will be repaired. With time, this will all pass. Even as I type sitting in my air conditioned home, I recall that just a year ago I was watching this very structure be rebuilt after a devastating and inconvenient circumstance. I threw away dumpsters full of belongings so a few hundred dollars worth of groceries seems to pale in comparison.

We celebrated our nation's freedom with family, friends and some backyard fireworks...and a regained appreciation for the "comforts" we enjoy and often take for granted. I'm thankful to be home, and I'm thankful for the comforts of home. But I'm also mindful to not get too comfortable because this is all just temporary.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And because I'm naturally "cheesey" I made up a song in light of the recent situation:

There is power, power, wonder working power, in my home, Praise the Lord!
There is power, power, wonder working power, the lights are on at home!

(Sung to the hymn "There Is Power in the Blood")

Hope you're all in the light with me!

Comments

Popular Posts