Supreme Blessedness

“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
    for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
    for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
    for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
    for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
~ Matthew 5:3-19


The Beatitudes. It means supreme blessedness or exalted happiness. It seems a bit ironic that those suffering and enduring know supreme blessedness, but it seems this is exactly what God has planned.

I heard a speaker present the Beatitudes this way:

(Blessed are the poor in spirit) Blessed are the broken, (Blessed are those who mourn) Broken to the point of weeping,(Blessed are the meek) Humbled past worldly things,(Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness) To the point of being filled with only God
(Blessed are the mercifil) Able to give mercy to others,(Blessed are the pure in heart) Able to live with a yes heart to God,
(Blessed are the peacemakers) Striving for peace despite the circumstances,
(Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness) Willing to sacrifice for God's glory.

I'd be the first to tell you I want supreme blessedness, but I'm not so sure I want to sign up for all the things I must endure in order to receive the blessings He's promises. But if I do:

If I'm broken,
I'll inherit His kingdom.

If I'm hurting and crying,

I'll receive His comfort.

If I'm humbled beyond what the world can offer,
He will lift me up.

If I'm filled with only Him,
I'll be filled to the point of overflowing.

If I give mercy,
It will be shown to me.

If I live with a yes heart to God,
I'll know His presence in my life.

If I seek to bring peace,
I'll be known as one of His own.

If I am willing to sacrifice for His glory,
The promises of eternity are mine.

Supreme blessedness - To know no matter what we face in life, there is an eternal promise of blessing, happiness, joy and completeness He brings. It's a tall order to fill - for Him and for me. Thankfully, unlike me, He never flounders or stumbles in fulfilling His promises.

Be blessed today...with supreme blessedness. Whatever you face or must endure, may you know and experience the fullness of Him and His blessing in your life.



Comments

Popular Posts