How to Train Your Dragon

It's a cute movie. I saw it once before and now, thanks to my laptop, it can travel with us and be played over...and over...and over again. (When he finds something he likes, he sticks with it.)

Needless to say, with many hours resting and recovering this week, I've truly lost count at how many times I've watched Hiccup learn how to train dragons. I think I might be ready to try my hand at dragon training...

In my case, I'm looking for the movie (or book) on how to train my 4-year-old, who, believe it or not, at times can resemble a fire-breathing, nostrils-flared, temper-tantrum-throwing dragon. In true "E" fashion, I share with you more of his "E'isms."

Tonight I stepped into a tub of water exclaiming, "E! Why did you leave water in the middle of the floor." To which he responded, "Mom! Why did you step in the middle of my turtle's tank?" Excuse me. 

This morning he got in trouble for saying the word "Shut-up" - twice. Two spankings were my immediate response. He huffed and "growled" at me (yes, growled) and said, "I'm frustrated at you because I just wanted you to be quiet so I could hear my movie!" And so I reminded him, "Then simply use the words be quiet." He reasoned, "But you wouldn't have listened to me." Hmph. 

His affectionate and loving ways never cease to amaze me, and after getting sick yet again today, he asked "Mom, are you happy at me?" Wanting to reassure him, I confirmed I was happy with him just sad that he wasn't feeling well. He made sure I knew, "I'm happy at you, mom!" 

In yet another moment I never want to forget he says, "Look at me!" and he's beaming from cheek to cheek. "Look at my dimple!" I always tell him how much I love his dimple - and then I plant one right on it! I just know in a few years he'll be running the opposite direction when I come anywhere near to kiss or hug him. 

Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it. ~Proverbs 22:6

In order for me to train him up in the way he should go, I must first seek the Lord in the way I should go.

I wonder how many times He looks down at me, nostrils flared from anger, throwing a tantrum when I don't get my way, breathing firey words instead of sharing words of kindness and love. In those moments I can't imagine He is any kind of happy at me. 

His promises are true, though, and despite my scaley exterior and fire-breathing attitude, He continues to want to smile at me and show me His love. Often times He has to scream at me to get my attention. Just when I think He's messing up my plans, I realize He has a different set all of His own. Our perspectives vary greatly, but I'm thankful He's not finished with me yet. 

I cry out to God Most High, to God, who fulfills His purpose for me. ~Psalm 57:2

I am His child and He's still investing and pouring into me so that His purposes might be fulfilled in my life. And following in this example, I seek to invest and pour into this little 4 year old, who may resemble a miniature version of a fire-breathing dragon, but I'm sure it's only because he's learned by example, too.

It's dragon-training time!


Comments

Popular Posts