We All Fall Down

Ring around the rosies
Pocket full of posies
Ashes, ashes
We all fall down

As children we circled round and round and laughed as we fell to the ground. As adults, it seems we spiral out of control until we find ourselves falling with no safety net in sight. It may be as simple as a stumble or as devastating as a face plant. Whether the bottom has dropped out or the ground has turned too cumbersome to navigate upright, at some point we find ourselves falling down.

I've learned a thing or two about falling, from personal experience of course. Whether by my own faulty hand or poor choice, or as the victim of someone else's insidious decision, I've had a few costly trips. Bumps and bruises, scrapes and cuts - there are scars I bear as a result of the falls I've endured. One thing I've learned - bandaged and bloody, limping and hurting, you can't stay down.

Part of the fun of the childhood game was getting right back up and doing it again. "Ring around the rosies..." and time after time we circled and fell.

"He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand." ~ Psalm 40:2

You can't stay down. He won't let you. He seeks you out of the pit and rescues you from your fallen state. He plants your feet firmly on a foundation where you can stand strong in Him.

"He brought me out into a spacious place; He rescued me because He delighted in me." ~ Psalm 18:19

Repeated references show His desire to rescue us, no matter how hard or far we've fallen. He delights in you, His child, and He wants to bring you to a spacious place where you can stand firm.

"With Your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall."  ~ Psalm 18:29

Will you fall again? I can't say with certainty, but my guess it is highly likely. But with His rescuing help, with His perfect strength, you will not only just stand again, you will rise.

Ashes, ashes, we all fall down. But wait for this promise!

...to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor. ~ Isaiah 61:3

He replaces ashes with a crown of beauty. He trades mourning for gladness. He exchanges despair for praise. And then...wait for it...He plants us as oaks of righteousness. Did you get that?! An oak, deeply rooted, firmly planted, standing tall to display His splendor! Oh now I want to stand and shout!!!

Stand tall today. Stand bearing the branches that wave in praise and honor of who He is. Stand knowing the stumbles and falls are the crowning jewels that display His power and might. Stand so the tears and sorrow are the leaves of gladness and worship. Stand so the spirit within you boasts of His Spirit living in you. Stand!

Comments

Popular Posts