Happy Birthday

I wait for this all year. 364 "unbirthday's" build up to the anticipation of February 19.

It's just another day for most, but to me it's my favorite day of the year.


I don't know why or how I got into the ritual of having a legitimate birthday countdown. It usually starts as a teasing reminder sometime after the first of the year simply to say "it's coming." Then as soon as February hits, the celebration begins. I could certainly blame my mother who, to this day, continues to indulge me with attention and adorn me with my birthday tiara. I have become "known" for this. My celebrating, birthday crowns, and advent calendar. Of course, the bigger deal I've made about it, the more I've had to make a joke of myself. The truth is, I love birthdays in general. So it's important to me that other people enjoy and celebrate their birthday as much as I do.

Today has already been full of blessings. The worship team and many of my friends wore purple (my favorite color) in honor of my day. (Thanks for indulging me, everyone!) A birthday lunch with family and my special little boy, who's made sure to tell me over and over "Happy Birthday, mommy! Are you happy?" Yes, E, I'm happy. He watches my face as I answer, looking to see my expression. How could that not bring me joy?!
(Snowed in for my birthday! 4" by 7 p.m.)
And now here I sit, processing the day, my previous year, and praying about what God has ahead for me, and outside my window I'm watching the snow pour down. This is the first "real" snow we've had all winter - and on my birthday! It's covering the ground at this point. It's no wonder I love the snow; I was born in the middle of a blizzard.

I am reminded today that while the world really doesn't stop for me to be the birthday princess, God knew and planned each of my days long before the creation of the universe. Before I could ever breathe my first breath, He was thinking of me as He breathed His last. No, this isn't a pride-filled moment. It is the humbling realization that for another day, another year, God has put me here for this time because He has a purpose for me.

I've told you before I don't make new year's resolutions, but I do pray every year on my birthday for God to give me a verse or passage that I can claim for my next year of life. There are a few scriptures God gave me today. They may or may not mean anything to you, but I'm committing them to prayer over the next year of my life:

"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” Isaiah 30:21

I am praying for His voice to lead and guide me as I make decisions and move forward in ways that are life-changing. Last year proved this through a job change and even now it seems decisions are around every corner. Lord, show me the way to go.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." I Corinthians 13:13

I could write a mini-sermon right now. But suffice to say I'm praying to have faith in God and who He is, to have hope that I am His cild and He has a plan for me, and to have love - not just for those I care about but even my enemies. Love means to serve and give of myself to share His love with others.

"And give my son the wholehearted devotion to keep your commands, statutes and decrees..."1 Chronicles 29:19a

What better prayer to pray than for my son. Enough said.

This is for fun. So you can laugh along with me at all the birthday antics! I have to laugh at myself, too!

If you know me, you know how perfect this gift is! 4 double stuffed oreos almost every night around 10 p.m. My typical snack of choice, or rather my guilty pleasure. And these are BIRTHDAY CAKE oreos! SO FUN!!!

Soup & Salad at Olive Garden for birthday lunch...before we got snowed in!

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes. The hundreds of posts and comments and texts and calls. Literally. I am one blessed girl. Well, lady, or woman. Or whatever. (You're only as old as you feel, right?!) Regardless, it's been a great birthday and I look forward to a wonderful year.


You Are For Me

Comments

Popular Posts