Sing With Me

One of the most marked moments of my "singing career" is a time that no one but me will remember. It was the Sunday after receiving word that a birthmother had chosen another family and I would not be the mother of her baby. In my heart of hearts I had believed that this child was going to be God's answer to my prayer. I can tell you I was nothing short of devastated. And I was to get up in front of hundreds of well-wishing church members and lead my congregation in worship.


How great is our God, sing with me
How great is our God and all will see
How great, how great is our God

Did I really believe it? I was asking them to sing of God's greatness with me as I stood there hoping to hide my broken heart.

And then we moved on to sing Blessed Be the Name of the Lord.

Blessed be your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be your name


Oh truly, there was pain in my offering that day. I could barely belt out notes for fear the tears would flow too.

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, Blessed be your name


Would my heart choose to still bless the Lord, despite my answer to prayer being taken away? Would I still lift my hands in praise and worship my Sovereign God and trust that He saw me and my hurt, but even more, would I wait and trust His plan?

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18

Do I find comfort in reading those words, or do I truly commit them to my circumstance? If I draw close to the Lord, He will draw close to me - and if I give Him my broken heart, He desires to comfort me. He seeks to save me when my spirit is so destroyed I can't go on.

I'm well aware of the position being "on stage" puts me in and that's one of the reasons I've been so candid recently with my own struggles or pain or circumstances. I am a sinner saved by grace. His child redeemed by His sacrifice. That Sunday I took my whole heart to God - it was broken and in pieces but I gave it to Him and with hands raised, I lifted my voice to Him and Him alone. I bring an offering of praise even when I can't find the words to utter in prayer. As much as I've learned I must lay my life on the altar, I've also learned I can give Him my pain and my broken heart. You can give Him yours, too.

I'm here to bring a song of praise today. To ask you to join with me as we sing of how great our God is - regardless of what we're feeling or facing.

I'm curious - what song has God used in your life? I'd love for you to share.

Comments

Popular Posts