Breaking the Silence: Not Guilty

It's the story of the "sinful woman" in Luke 7.

As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them. (vs. 38)

I heard a pastor say of her story, "She loved much because she was forgiven much." With all my heart, I understand this.

In The Living Cross last year, I depicted the woman who was nearly stoned to death for her crime, save for Jesus asking those without sin to cast the first stone. This role wasn't just a character I played. It was a public display of the salvation and mercy I had personally received. (You can read more of my story with my post entitled The Scarlet Letter.)

As I stood below the cross that held the character representing my lifeless Savior, I sang the words:

 
 
Oh truly, I have contributed more than my share of sin to put on Christ's shoulders the day He carried His cross to Calvary. And as He breathed His last breath, as the veil was torn and creation mourned, a verdict of "Not Guilty" was issued for the debt I owed. It is beyond my comprehension.
 
As this year's Living Cross approaches, I'm preparing to sing the finale that represents Christ resurrected and ascended into heaven. The words I'll sing are truly my declaration to the mercy and grace He's shown me:
 
 
Convicted of sin. Sentenced to die. Redeemed by His life. Declared not guilty.
 
The tears are welling up as I type. THIS is my life. THIS is my testimony. THIS is who I am - who He says I am. Oh praise You, precious Savior. Yes, I will give You all the praise. I know I will still fail You. I know I will stumble. I know I will not always make the right decision. But I pray I will always bear the mark of the price You paid. My life has been bought with Your blood and You alone are worthy of my praise! I sing a song of deliverance to You, my great deliverer. I sing about Your power and dominion, King of my life. I sing to give you the honor and praise, my Lord and my God.
 
I love much because I've been forgiven much. I sing these words with meaning because I've experienced that court hearing. I stood before the Judge, waiting for my sentence. I waited for my fate to be sealed. And I, yes a wretched sinner saved by grace, was given the verdict "Not Guilty."

My story doesn't end there because one day I will stand (or maybe bow in reverance) and sing with the saints, "All praise unto the Lamb."
 
 
(I invite you to join us for "The Living Cross."  Tickets can be purchased for $5/each for any one of the 8 presentations of this powerful story of the life of Christ.)

Comments

Popular Posts