Wake Up Call

I guess a week of late nights and sleeplessness had caught up to me because I was falling asleep as I read and it was just after 10 p.m. I figured if sleep was coming easily I wouldn't fight it.

And then it happened. From a deep and dreamless slumber, my eyes flew open. There was no sound. No alarm. Nothing startled me. But I was wide awake. I checked the time: 2:17 a.m.

I laid still for a few minutes and very quickly realized I wasn't just awake - I was UP. Fully aware, alert, not feeling a bit tired. I recalled the words of a wise and godly woman who often experienced wide-awake moments in the middle of the night; "I pray. I assume if I am awake, then it is my call to pray."

"Okay, Lord. I'm up. Let's chat."

"I'm right here," He answered.

"God, I have two things on my mind. To pray for a very specific person and a very specific situation."

(Silence.)

"Lord, is everything okay?"

He didn't answer. Why was He silent? Was this one of those wake up calls where you're called to pray because something is happening?

In a fleeting moment, I grabbed my phone and sent a text message to the specific person I felt lead to pray for: "I just woke up. I don't know what's going on but I am praying. I hope you're ok."

It was 2:20 a.m. Why on earth had I sent a text at 2:20 in the morning?!

"Lord, I really do hope everything is okay. I'm praying for healing. For strength. For wisdom. For peace. I pray Your presence is felt in such an overwhelming way. I ask for You to do a supernatural work - God, I'm praying for a miracle! I know You are Jehovah Rapha..."

Buzzzzzz. The vibration of my phone interrupted my prayer. It was a response to my text.

"Weird. I am ok but just woke up as well. Praying for everything."

A sigh of relief to know everything was okay, followed by an audible "Wow!" at my realization that God was so present and involved. I was in awe at the wake up call we'd both received. The distance separating us and the variance in our circumstances didn't matter. This was a call to pray.

I don't know how the prayers went up from my friend. I don't know what she was praying for exactly or what she said to God. I just knew we were both praying and on my end I was lifting her up very specifically about her circumstance and what she's facing.

And then I called to mind the other situation still heavy on my heart.

"Lord, I'm not even sure how to pray for this one..."

This time He answered. "I know, child. But I want you to bring it to me."

And so I left it there. "Lord, this is beyond me. I give it to You."

This 2 a.m. wake up call wasn't a rude awakening but rather an eye opening opportunity for me to experience His presence.

Comments

Popular Posts